Agri-Business Working Group
Agri-Business Working Group - Overview
BRICS comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are set to emerge as the world's top economies by 2050 and have the potential to shape the global agriculture sector.
The BRICS nations, have a thriving agriculture sector. China has a comparative advantage in horticulture, poultry, fish and processed foods. India, at best, is self sufficient on the food availability front. India's strength lie in its diverse agro climatic conditions that are conducive for a variety of crops almost round the year. Brazil leads in coffee, tobacco, sugar and orange juice. Russia takes a lead position in world wheat trade and South Africa has a wealth of maize production.
The BRICS Business Council Agribusiness Working Group was established with the objective of creating a platform to ensure regular dialogue between the agribusiness communities and Governments of the BRICS nations.
India hosted a meeting of BRICS countries on agriculture development in New Delhi on 14 October 2016 under the Chairmanship of Mr Vikramjit Singh Sahney, Chairman, Sun International Ltd., India. The BRICS Business Council Agribusiness Working Group discussed new avenues of partnership among the BRICS member countries. The working group aims to deliberate upon key areas of cooperation in agriculture and allied sector. Over the past few months, several ideas have been exchanged amongst the group members and some important suggestions have been made regarding each of different areas of engagement like food security, skill development, innovation and technology, technology transfer.
News & Announcements
- June 22, 2017 Chinese remain keen on agricultural investment
- May 31, 2017 Innovation and sustainability must walk together in agribusiness
- May 25, 2017 Brazil's Santander unit sees space to strengthen agribusiness lending
- May 23, 2017 Government unveils 3-year roadmap for 'evergreen revolution'
- May 09, 2017 India's Food Production to Hit Record High, Says Farm Ministry
- April 23, 2017 Chinese agribusiness executive 'hopeful' regarding US-China trade
- April 19, 2017 Russian agriculture sector flourishes amid sanctions
- March 28, 2017 Government's focus on agriculture to give farm & firm a boost
- March 28, 2017 6 Crore Soil Health Cards Distributed Business Standard
- March 27, 2017 Govt looking into Genomic science based DNA mapping: Krishna Byre Gowda
- March 27, 2017 Nod for 101 cold chain projects in 20 States
- March 26, 2017 India to milk global rage of organic food